Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Reflection

A Twist on Voting Day, The Election, The Outcome, and The Future

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 will go down in history as one of the most critical landmarks in history. I am glad that in my lifetime I was tuned in to witness it for myself. This represents what many who have gone before us DREAMED , causes for which some men and women died, the belief in the impossible, the hope for the unthinkable, now manifested in this present time… AND YES THE TIMES THEY ARE AND HAVE CHANGED. We’ve talked about it around the water coolers, dining tables, at the gym, spa, on the golf course, at the country clubs, happy hour bars, and even at church. So much history stood to be made… First mixed race (black/white get it right y’all) President, potentially the first Woman to be elected Vice-President, questions and hopes of change (political, financial, moral), I mean the ramifications were everywhere!!! I am a PROUD BLACK MAN RIGHT NOW… Always have been, always will be, but right now this is even more of a proud moment. I can tell my kids one day, when I get married and have some, that they can achieve anything… INCLUDING BE PRESIDENT!!!


But… I have a NEWSFLASH!!! This is not a political piece!!! This is a man trying to be obedient to God and deliver a word from God. (Romans 12:1-2, I Peter 4: 10-11) So read and listen carefully… THIS ONE RIGHT HERE WOKE ME UP FROM A DEEP SLEEP!!!

I’m now coming to the full understanding of the lessons intended for us all in this season, and I believe with my whole heart they are priceless (Revelations 2:7. 3:6)

Lesson 1
God the Father is STILL God the Father!!! (Exodus 20: 1-7) I’ve seen the media, and heard the chatter around my home city about how some have tried to make our new President-Elect some sort of god-like figure and I declare to you… THAT IS A SIN!!! Realize family that no political party has the power to redeem you or save you from ANYTHING. I’ve heard comments like, “this candidate will protect and restore the moral sovereignty of the nation…” WHAT SOVEREIGNTY?!?!?! The political process, the political system, and the elected servants at any level are FLAWED!!! WHY? BECAUSE THEY ARE MAN and MAN MADE, and man is FLAWED!!! (Psalms 14:3, 53:3, Romans 3:12) But we’ve been hanging our hopes on this election and again I say that is a SIN!!! Our faith cannot be placed in Man… ONLY IN GOD!!!

Here we are trying to make a man-made process determine something that only faith in God will change… We’re looking for salvation in politics… WHY???
(Romans 10: 12-17) Even before the foundations of the world were formed God knew what was going to happen in this season. Therefore, we need to hang our hopes on our FAITH in GOD (Romans 8:28) Amen Somebody!!!

Side note… I DID VOTE, and I believe in voting for this reason… Men and women from various walks of life did risk (and some even lost) their lives in the struggle for all people in this country to be able to participate in the political process. I truly believe it is a slap in the face to those souls who fought in that struggle to not go to the polls!!! So yes, I do use the power of my vote to voice my stance!!!


Lesson 2
The sovereignty of God will always trump the perceived moral climate of ANY nation, Since God is still God!!! (Genesis 1:1, Psalms 90:2) having this assurance, we must then pattern our lives after the model of God. (Leviticus 20:7) Quit trying to make political debate issues like gun control, taxes, health care, education, the military, and pro-life vs. pro-choice the backbone of our morality. These issues are going to exist as long as the earth, human life, and politics exists!!!

Sidenote 2… I’m going on record right now with this one… I’m pro-choice… because I serve a pro-choice GOD!!! Joshua 24:15 says it clearly, “If it seems evil to you to serve the Lord God, CHOOSE RIGHT NOW who you will serve; the gods your fathers served on the other side of the flood or the gods of the Amorites where you now live: But when it comes down to ME and MY HOUSEHOLD, WE CHOOSE TO SERVE THE LORD.” There lies the turning point to ALL arguments to me… I am not saying that I believe in murder, aborting pregnancies, or any other ungodly behavior you can imagine… But God gives us the power to CHOOSE (pro-choice) what we want to do as we conduct our lives.

Politics is business, which revolves around money, and the love of money is the root of all evil (I Timothy 6:10)

Lesson 3
If you TRULY know God, there is no need to fear what lies ahead… II Timothy 1:7-14 We have not a spirit of fear or anxiety, but of power, love, and a sound mind!!! I write to you today, family to say this… GET OUT OF THE RAT RACE and let go of all the propaganda, and GET IN THE WORD!!! Vote??? YES!!! But do not hang your faith on the things of this world. The bible says obey the law (I Peter 2:13-19), but at the same time remember you ultimate authority is under the God who created you!!!

Lesson 4
If you’re looking for a real change in which you can believe, II Chronicles 7:14-22 says go to the posture of humility and prayer, seek God’s face, turn from ungodliness and follow HIM, TRUST HIM, and have FAITH in HIM. Seek first the Kingdom and HIS righteousness, and all things will then be added. (Matthew 6:33) INCLUDING CHANGE!!!








In closing… Can we please move on??? We have battled for so long over race, political alignment, and personal beliefs… AND STILL GET NOWHERE!!! Let’s be real… If you get no help from Capital Hill… You can lift your eyes to any other hill… Knowing your help comes from the Lord God. I suggest you examine where your best representative laid it all on the line… At a hill called Golgotha (the skull)!!! When the Son of God was nailed to the cross, died and rose again conquering death, the grave, and sin, he erased all our debts, removed all the stains of sin… and gave me a reason to LIVE freely in HIM… He is Jesus!!! The author and finisher of my faith, the Alpha and Omega, Beginning and End, the Lion and the Lamb (Matthew 27, Revelations 1:8, 11).


Father God I pray right now for this nation, its newly elected leadership, guide them and us the people who must render obedience to the laws of this land. We thank you that you are still on the throne no matter who is in the White House. We ask your guidance as we live from day to day and strive to serve you in a better way. Help us to always know the freedom we have in our faith in you. We Praise You and we thank you for our salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. In HIS PRECIOUS NAME WE PRAY AMEN!!!(Who the SON sets Free is FREE INDEED!!!)


I Love You All,

Joseph


Please send any questions, comments and/or prayer requests to mybrothasays@gmail.com

For more information on the Teen Moms/Nashville Youth For Christ Program, please contact Shellie R. Warren at shellie@nashvilleyfc.org or call (615) 290-9905

No comments: